The A-Z of AI
AI is being used to tackle global climate challenges.
People all over the world are using AI to help address the unprecedented crisis our planet is facing.
Monitoring climate change involves vast and constantly evolving datasets. AI systems can help to analyze collections of environmental information, to track real-time changes in climate conditions, reduce inefficiencies, and identify vital opportunities for humanity to find solutions that could have a positive impact on our planet, faster.
In meeting some of humanity’s greatest challenges, AI can be a powerful tool.
- AI-powered systems are helping us to regulate the amount of energy wasted at home by turning off the heating and lights when we leave the house.
- Around the world, they’re helping to combat drought by monitoring areas affected by desertification.
- They’re being used to model melting glaciers and predict rising sea levels so effective action can be taken.
- Other systems are helping to find new chemical structures needed to create solar fuels from sunlight.
- Researchers are also considering the environmental impact of data centers and AI computing itself; for example, exploring how to develop more energy efficient systems and infrastructures.
AI is only one tool in the process of understanding the complexity of climate change, but its ability to process large volumes of data and uncover patterns offers us the opportunity to build greater understanding of the ecosystem.